Sun Gold tomatoes are lovely—a sweet, slightly tannic variety of cherry tomatoes. Be sure to cook the tomatoes down until they've released all of their juices.
4 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
250 g Sun Gold or cherry tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
180 g capellini, spaghetti, or bucatini
3/4 cup finely grated Pecorino or Parmesan
8 medium fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
Toasted breadcrumbs (for garnish; optional)DIRECTIONS:
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, and red pepper flakes, season with salt, and cook, covered slightly and swirling pan often, until tomatoes blister and burst, 10-12 minutes. Press down on tomatoes to release their juices. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring water to a boil. Season with salt; add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until about 2 minutes before tender. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking water.
- Transfer pasta to skillet with tomatoes; set over high heat. Add 1/2 cup pasta water. Cook, stirring and tossing often, until sauce thickens and begins to coat the pasta, about 1 minute.
- Stir in remaining oil, cheese, and half the basil and toss until sauce coats pasta and pasta is al dente. (Add more pasta water if sauce seems dry.)
- Add remaining basil, season with salt, and serve with breadcrumbs, if desired.
Leave a comment